The song Cat's In the Cradle by: Harry Chapin is a story about a father's relationship with his son. In the song, the man is always too busy for his son. For instance, he missed his birth and never taught him how to throw a ball. During this, the child continuously says that he wants to be just like his father. Later on when the son gets older, he doesn't have enough time for his dad. His kids are sick or he has too much work. I believe that this song is about cherishing what you have.
In this song, the father gives his son a present for his tenth birthday the lyrics say: He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play Can you teach me to throw", I said "Not today I got a lot to do",. He said "Thats okay." The father is completely ignoring his son in this. It's sad to see a ten year old boy not be able to spend any time with his father. After the son gets back from college, he has a converssation with his dad: "Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?"He shook his head and said with a smile" What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys See you later, can I have them please?" At this point, the father begins to see the son that he now wants to band with ignore him. Years later, they speak on the phone and the father asks if they can get together. His son responds by saying that there is too much going on to do that. After that, the father comes to a realization: And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me He'd grown up just like me My boy was just like me. This part of the song makes the father realize that the time he could have spent with his only son has passed.
I feel like this song could teach a lesson to many people in the world. So many families are blinded by the responsibilities of work as opposed to the responsibilities of family. Not enough people realize that they may have lost the most important things they could have ever had, relationships. This song makes me think about cherishing everything that you have while it is still available.

No comments:
Post a Comment