Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Piano Man

          The song Piano Man by: Billy Joel takes place in a bar.  It is a story from the point of view of the entertainer of the bar, a piano player.  He speaks about everyone in the bar and what their stories are.  He speaks  about what the bar is like and just seems to expect it.  I believe that this song is about potential that is unused.
       One of the lines is what the bartender is telling the pianist.  The line is: He says Bill, I believe this is killing me As the smile ran away from his face Well I'm sure that I could be a movie star If I could get out of this place.  This line is basically saying that if he wasn't in the bar, he could actually make it somewhere important.  Another line is speaking about the crowd that evening.  And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar And say "Man, what are you doing here".  I believe that this is saying that the narrator has more potential than he is letting loose.  There is one line that represents hope, and that is It's a pretty good crowd for a Saturday, And the manager gives me a smile 'Cause he knows that it's me they've been coming to see.  I think that the song says a lot of things that represent sadness but in the end, there is a sligjh glimmer of hope.
           This song relates to real life because there are many people that look back on their life whhen they turn thirty and say, "why didn't I take that chance.  But people don't llook at life like the Piano Man.  He says this is a good place and my life could be worse than this.  There is always hope of doing better no matter what the past is like.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment